Thursday, 3 Sep 2020
The Asian region has been witnessing an increase in corporate distressed debt, growing non-performing loans, posing legitimate concerns for lenders and investors. The regional lenders are likely to see more winding up cases from their corporate borrowers, as the trade-reliant economies take a hit from US-China tensions, tepid economic condition, coupled with the disruption force hammering various industry sectors.
When given such cases, the debt restructuring process can be painful, time-consuming, and unfamiliar for many creditors, especially those dealing with cross-border borrowers. Will creditor’s rights be frozen in overseas jurisdictions? What is the right strategic planning to enforce the rights and ensure optimal asset recovery? With Singapore’s revised restructuring legislations to become the regional restructuring hub, how can creditors leverage on the new favourable features?
Our inaugural ALB Virtual Cross-border Debt Restructuring Forum 2020 timely sets out to find compelling solutions to meet the changing dimensions of restructuring and insolvency cases. The conference brings a wide range of creative and collaborative solutions from lawyers, accountants, creditors to ultimately achieve successful debt restructuring, recovery, and turnaround for both creditors and debtors. With better clarity, the event will also widen up new opportunities for distressed investors.
Cross-border debt restructuring will become the must-know for every credit provider.
Benefits Of Attending
- Understand the latest regulatory and legal changes governing restructuring and insolvency matters across different jurisdictions
- Harness the enforcement rights, payment priorities, and adequate protection for creditors
- Grab the essential negotiation strategies between debtors and creditors before court proceedings
- Navigate divergent interests, recovering and transforming post-restructuring
- Engage to learn creative solutions from leading restructuring and insolvency practitioners
- Seize opportunities in rescue and distress financing for lenders and white knights
- Special situations, stressed and distressed investing opportunities in Asia – translating legal differences into opportunities
Who Should Attend?
The conference is a can’t-miss event for all debt restructuring and distressed investing professionals:
- Restructuring and Insolvency Lawyers
- Creditors/Insolvency Practitioners
- Special assets or “workout” department
- Loan Management/Lending Services
- Credit Risk
- Fixed Income
- Credit Strategy
- Corporate Recovery/Turnaround
- Corporate Bonds
- Accounting Firms/Advisory Firms/Auditing Firms
- Debt Restructuring
- Debt Advisory
- Capital Providers/Investors
- Rescue Financing
- Distressed Investors/Special-situation Investors/Activist Funds/High-yield Investors
- Debtors/Distressed Firms
- M&A Professionals
- In-House Counsel/Chief Legal Officer
- Industries that are vulnerable to financial distress
Stay tune for more updates on the agenda.
For further information, please contact Bella Lai at firstname.lastname@example.org
Forum Topics at a Glance*
* Forum agenda is not final and subject to further revisions
- Singapore and the Pathway to Becoming a Regional Debt Restructuring Hub: Progress and Potentials
- Safeguarding Creditor’s Debt Enforcement Rights to Ensure Successful Asset Recovery Efforts
- Getting through Indonesia’s Debt Restructuring – Tips and Best Practices
- Strategic Planning for a Successful Cross-Border Debt Restructuring
- Early Birds Get the Worm – Essential Negotiation Strategies Between Debtors and Creditors Before Court Proceedings
- The Art of Successful Turnaround – Navigating Divergent Interests, Recovering and Transforming Post Restructuring
- Rescue and Distress Financing – Seizing Opportunities for Lenders and White Knights
- Special Situations, Stressed and Distressed Investing Opportunities in Asia – Translating Legal Differences into Opportunities
Interested to speak on any of the above topics?
Contact Bella Lai at email@example.com or call +65 6318 4877
- Tham Wei Chern, Director, Fullerton Law Chambers LLC
- Mark O’Reilly, Director, Borrelli Walsh
- Heng Cheam, Managing Director, Deutsche Bank AG, Singapore
- Justin Ferrier, Managing Director, Asian Private Credit, Blackrock
- Akihito Watanabe, Managing Director, Pierfront Capital
- Vaibhav Totla, Managing Director, Head - Special Situations Group, CLSA Capital Partners
- Nien Rafles Siregar, Managing Partner, Siregar Setiawan Manalu Partnership (SSMP)
- David Chew, Partner, DHC Capital
- Bobby Rahman Manalu, Partner, Siregar Setiawan Manalu Partnership (SSMP)
- Kurkye Wong, Executive Director, Argyle Street Management
- Amit Gulati, Managing Director, Auctus Growth Capital
- And more to be announced!
Details of participating speakers will be updated shortly.
For speaking details, please contact Bella at firstname.lastname@example.org
Speakers / Panelists
|Tham Wei Chern, Director, Fullerton Law Chambers LLC
Wei Chern’s practice covers commercial and corporate disputes, including shareholders' disputes and breaches of directors' duties, and securities-related and banking litigation. Wei Chern also handles construction disputes, insolvency matters, employment disputes and defamation claims.
Wei Chern frequently represents clients in the High Court of Singapore and the Court of Appeal. He also acts for clients in international arbitrations.
Wei Chern is a Fellow of both the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators. Wei Chern is also a member of the Admissions Committee of the Law Society.
Mark O’Reilly, Director, Borrelli Walsh
Mark O’Reilly is a Director based in the Singapore office with over 12 years of experience specialising in corporate insolvency and restructuring across Asia, including Singapore, Australia, Indonesia, India, PRC and various offshore jurisdictions.
Mark has led numerous corporate insolvency assignments including but not limited to Creditors’ Voluntary Liquidations, Compulsory Liquidations, Receiverships and Schemes of Arrangement.
Mark has also led various restructuring engagements, acting for both debtors and creditors, with a focus on business reviews, debt restructuring/refinancing negotiations, asset divestments and operational stabilisation across a broad range of industries including shipping, offshore, property, mining/mining services, and financial services.
Mark is identified as a leading advisor in Who’s Who Legal: Restructuring & Insolvency Advisors (non-legal) in 2019.
Heng Cheam, Managing Director, Deutsche Bank AG, Singapore
Heng CHEAM leads the private credit origination and trading at Strategic Investment Group (SIG), Deutsche Bank. He is responsible for originating and executing investment opportunities as well as loan portfolios across Asia. Heng is on the Supervisory Board of Huarong Rongde Asset Management. Prior to joining SIG in 2008, Heng worked on credit proprietary desk at BAML and in investment banking at Lehman Brothers in London and New York respectively.
Akihito Watanabe, Managing Director, Pierfront Capital
Akihito (Aki) Watanabe is a Managing Director of Pierfront Capital. Aki has over 15 years of experience across the Asia-Pacific real estate sector including investments and financings throughout the capital structure. He previously spent over 10 years with Varde Partners as a Managing Director focusing on Asia real estate and real estate related investments. Before that, he was with Lehman Brothers in the Global Real Estate Group focusing on real estate investment banking and real estate secured debt investments. He holds a Masters in International Affairs from Columbia University SIPA.
Vaibhav Totla, Managing Director, Head- Special Situations Group, CLSA Capital Partners
Vaibhav Totla is currently the Managing Director and Head of the Special Situations Strategy at CLSA Capital Partners. He brings 15 years of experience, most of which were spent in the Asian credit and special situations space. Vaibhav has spent many years investing in eth special situations/ distressed debt space in markets like India, Australia, Singapore/ SE Asia and Indonesia.
Before CLSA, Vaibhav was with the Noble Group from 2014-2017 where he was a part of a team focussed on developing a special situations investing business focused on the commodities sector.
Prior to his tenure at Noble, Vaibhav was the Head of Research for Asia ex-Japan for the BAML Special Situations team during the 2008-2014 period. Vaibhav led the research and analytics efforts for the Asia Ex-Japan transactions and was also responsible for the India businesses.
Nien Rafles Siregar, Managing Partner, Siregar Setiawan Manalu Partnership (SSMP)
Nien Rafles Siregar is managing partner of SSMP.
His practice focuses on complex bankruptcy and restructuring issues as well as business and employment litigations.
Prior to establishing SSMP, Nien Rafles Siregar was a former partner of a prestigious litigation law firm in Indonesia.
David Chew, Partner and Founder, DHC Capital
David has over 22 years of experience in restructuring, turnaround and special situations having worked as an advisor with Ernst & Young and Arthur Andersen, investment banker with Morgan Stanley, in senior management as a CRO, CFO and interim CFO and Board member to distressed companies.
David has worked with and advised private and publicly listed corporates, bank creditors, bond holders, alternative capital providers and distressed investors across the full range of the restructuring transaction cycle, including crisis stabilisation, business and strategic reviews, strategic option analysis including planning and implementing in and out of Court solutions, operational restructuring and turnaround, debt restructuring and schemes of arrangement, liquidity management initiatives, distressed M&A, rescue financing, refinancing and recapitalisations. He also specialises in advising corporates requiring urgent financing during periods of market and sector specific dislocation or financial stress.
Bobby Rahman Manalu, Partner, Siregar Setiawan Manalu Partnership (SSMP)
Bobby Rahman Manalu is a partner of SSMP.
His practice focuses on complex commercial issues as well as competition, aviation and bankruptcy litigations.
Prior to establishing SSMP, Bobby Rahman Manalu was a former partner of a reputable litigation law firm in Indonesia.
Kurkye Wong, Executive Director, Argyle Street Management Limited (“ASM”)
Kurkye is the Executive Director at Argyle Street Management Limited (“ASM”), a hedge fund manager founded in 2002 in Hong Kong. Kurkye has extensive experience in litigation funding, forensic accounting and litigation settlement. He has previously worked at FTI Consulting in Hong Kong. He holds a Special Qualification in Insolvency and is a fellow member of the HKICPA. He holds a Bachelor of Business from the Queensland University of Technology, a Juris Doctor from the Chinese University of Hong Kong and obtained a certificate in a Master’s Degree in Financial Engineering from the Stanford University.
Amit Gulati, Managing Director and CEO, Auctus Growth Capital
Areas of Expertise : Private Debt financing, Special Situations, Distressed Debt, Restructuring, Convertible bonds, Corporate Finance , Private Equity raise, Fixed Income Originations and Sales, Financial Sponsors, Corporate & Institutional Banking, Loan Syndications, Trade Finance and Cash Management, raised in Singapore, India and South East Asia.
Thursday, 3 September 2020
Early Bird Rate (Ends 23 July) - Enjoy SG$100 Off
Inhouse/General Counsel/Compliance SGD349.00
Financial Institutions/ Capital providers SGD349.00
Accountants/ Auditors SGD349.00
Law Firms/Service Providers/Consultants SGD749.00
Inhouse/General Counsel/Compliance SGD449.00
Financial Institutions/ Capital providers SGD449.00
Accountants/ Auditors SGD449.00
Law Firms/Service Providers/Consultants SGD849.00
For sponsorship requests, contact:
Phone: (+65) 6870 3917